Exercise physiology at the Y
Accredited Exercise Physiologists are the experts in prescribing the right exercise to help you prevent and manage your chronic disease, help you recover faster from surgery or an injury or help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
See what a visit to an exercise physiologist at the Y looks like.
Exercise to suit your needs
- 1:1 exercise physiology sessions weekly or fortnightly for completely tailored exercise programs and advice to best suit your unique needs, using the exercise modalities you enjoy most to help you reach your goals faster.
- Group exercise physiology sessions: enjoy company and support as you work in a small group towards your personal health goals
- Hydrotherapy (Some centres)
Benefits of Exercise Physiology
- Exercise tailored to your health concerns, conditions and goals in a safe and effective manner
- Movement to improve your heart, lung and metabolic health
- Reach your health and functional goals
- Find a range of exercises that you enjoy
- Kickstart healthy habits and encouragement to keep going
Your journey to better health
Accredited exercise physiologists (AEP's) specialise in exercise interventions to prevent or manage chronic disease or injury, and assist in restoring optimal physical function, health and wellness. These interventions are provided by exercise delivery including health and physical activity education, advice and support, and lifestyle modification developing sustainable healthy habits.
AEPs are recognised allied health professionals and specialists in their field with a diverse range of knowledge and skills, working across a variety of areas in health, exercise and sport.
- They are university qualified and undertake strict accreditation requirements.
- They are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and WorkCover and are recognised by most private health insurers.
- They can treat and work with all types of people, those who want to improve their health and wellbeing to those living with a chronic disease.
- AEP's work closely with other health professionals (such as GP's, physios & dieticians) and have the skills and experience to prescribe exercise and advice for chronic disease and injury management.
Accredited Exercise Physiologists are the experts in prescribing the right exercise to help you prevent and manage your chronic disease, help you recover faster from surgery or an injury or help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. AEP’s can help treat and/or manage:
- Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Different forms of cancer
- Mental Health Conditions, such as Depression, Anxiety, PTSD and others
- Arthritis and osteoporosis
- Chronic respiratory disease and asthma
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Disabilities of a physical, intellectual or developmental nature
- And many other health conditions
AEP's work closely with other health professionals (such as GP's, physios & dieticians) and have the skills and experience to prescribe exercise and advice for chronic disease and injury management.
YMCA Exercise Physiology services are delivered in YMCA operated recreation centres across Adelaide and South Australia. Choosing YMCA Exercise Physiology means:
- Direct and immediate access to exercise facilities and equipment
- On-site access to hydrotherapy pools and exercise
- A ‘one stop shop’ for your health and wellness – receive both Exercise Physiology services and the facility to execute the program and exercise under one roof
- As a not for profit, community focused organisation, our recreation centres provide an inclusive and non-intimidating environment for all community members