YMCA South Australia Youth Parliament is a non-partisan program providing a platform for young people aged 15 - 25 to have their say on important issues, build skills and parliamentary understanding. It focuses on personal development, empowerment and connecting politicians and decision makers with youth voices and opinions.
The Youth Parliament program runs from March to August every year and includes mentoring, a training weekend, a week-long camp and access to Parliament House. Every year, young leaders come together to learn about public speaking, parliamentary etiquette, bill development and youth advocacy. They share their big ideas, discuss the challenges facing South Australia and create solutions in the form of Youth Bills.
APPLICATIONS FOR YP2022 OPEN JAN
YP is a program run by young people for young people, it's an unmissable opportunity for under 25 to express their views on issues they are passionate about, develop confidence and leadership skills, and explore new opportunities in a safe and supportive environment.
Participants take part in a two (2) day Training Weekend where they learn essential parliamentary and leadership skills to use during the six (6) day Parliament Week in July.
WHEN: March to July 2022
WHERE: Nunyara Conference Centre & Parliament House Adelaide
WHO CAN APPLY? South Australians residents aged 15 - 25 years old
COST: A participation fee of $480 per person which covers meals, accommodation and transport during Parliament Week
SPONSORSHIP: Participants can receive assistance to seek external sponsorship for participant fees
RURAL & REGIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS: Travel Scholarships Available
Applications close 13th March 2022.
Still have a question? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a buzz on 0458 401 661.
- The dedicated volunteers that run the program (the Taskforce) has made it their mission to ensure that the program can go ahead with the health and wellbeing of participants in mind.
What it going to be different?
- The program will continue to be tailored to coincide with the current SA Health and SA Government regulations and restrictions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. With current regulations, there should be minimal impact on participation. This means:
- In-person Training Weekend in April
- Parliament Week in July
- The Youth Parliament program currently has no restrictions on participants and COVID-19 vaccination status. However, this may change pending on changes to regulations, YMCA policies and procedures, or venue mandates.
- Please note that our Taskforce want to ensure that all participants get everything they can out of the program without impacting on their health and wellbeing. As such, dates may change to coincide with COVID-19 restrictions to ensure participant safety and the program.
- If changes are made once the program has begun, they will be communicated with the participants in a timely fashion.
Youth Parliament Archive
- YP2021 Bills and Acts PDF (3.44 MB)
- YP2020 Bills and Acts PDF (2.60 MB)
- YP2019 Bills and Acts PDF (4.00 MB)
- YP2018 Bills and Acts PDF (2.33 MB)
- YP2018 Public Report PDF (1.96 MB)
- YP2017 Bills and Acts PDF (481 KB)
- YP2017 Public Report PDF (1.89 MB)
- YP2016 Bills and Acts PDF (1.45 MB)
- YP2015 Bills and Acts PDF (1.24 MB)
- YP2014 Bills and Acts PDF (1.49 MB)
- YP2013 Bills and Acts PDF (1.32 MB)
- YP2012 Bills and Acts PDF (677 KB)
- YP2010 Bills and Acts PDF (477 KB)
- YP2008 Bills and Acts PDF (14.00 MB)
- YP2007 Bills and Acts PDF (9.83 MB)
School workshops and mock parliament sessions
Are you a school teacher? Did you know YMCA South Australia run school workshops and mock Parliament debates for years 7 and up? Get in touch with us to find out how we can bring Civics and Citizenship to life and make learning about politics and Parliament fun!
Powerful experiences and great memories
What previous participants have to say . . .
When I signed up for youth parliament this year, I didn't really know what to expect. I thought I might improve my public speaking skills, maybe gain a bit more confidence. What I didn't expect was to have one of the best weeks of my life, and to learn more than I could ever have learnt in any classroom.
2015 Youth Parliamentarian
On this program I met so many great people. I was amazed at the diversity and like-mindedness of the other Youth Parliamentarians. Some of these people opened my eyes to issues that I have never even heard of before.
2015 Youth Parliamentarian
For more information please contact the YMCA South Australia Youth Empowerment team on (08) 8200 2514.