APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN FOR YP2024!
The YMCA South Australia Youth Parliament is a non-partisan program designed to offer individuals aged 15-25 years old a platform to express their perspectives on significant matters. It aims to foster the development of leadership skills, enhance parliamentary comprehension, and deepen understanding of democracy.
Emphasizing personal growth, the program empowers young participants to drive positive change by bridging youth voices and opinions with political leaders and decision-makers. A program run by young people for young people, it's an unmissable opportunity to express their views on issues they are passionate about, develop confidence and leadership skills, and explore new opportunities in a safe and supportive environment.
APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR YP2024 ON 1 JANUARY 2024!
YP is a program run by young people for young people, it's an unmissable opportunity for under 25 to express their views on issues they are passionate about, develop confidence and leadership skills, and explore new opportunities in a safe and supportive environment.
Participants take part in a two (2) day Training Weekend where they learn essential parliamentary and leadership skills to use during the six (6) day Parliament Week in July.
WHEN: March to July 2024
(training weekend 20-21 April, residential week 14-19 July)
WHERE: Nunyara Conference Centre & Parliament House Adelaide
WHO CAN APPLY? South Australian residents aged 15 - 25 years old
COST: A participation fee of $500 per person which covers meals, accommodation and transport during Parliament Week
SPONSORSHIP: Participants can receive assistance in the program to seek external sponsorship for participant fees
RURAL & REGIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS: Travel Scholarships Available to assist with the additional transport
Applications close: 17 March 2024
Still have a question? Drop us a line at email@example.com or give us a buzz on 0422 343 916.
- The dedicated volunteers that run the program (the Taskforce) has made it their mission to ensure that the program can go ahead with the health and wellbeing of participants in mind.
What it going to be different?
- The program will continue to be tailored to coincide with the current SA Health and SA Government regulations and restrictions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. With current regulations, there should be minimal impact on participation. This means:
- In-person Training Weekend in April
- Parliament Week in July
- The Youth Parliament program currently has no restrictions on participants and COVID-19 vaccination status. However, this may change pending on changes to regulations, YMCA policies and procedures, or venue mandates.
- Please note that our Taskforce want to ensure that all participants get everything they can out of the program without impacting on their health and wellbeing. As such, dates may change to coincide with COVID-19 restrictions to ensure participant safety and the program.
- If changes are made once the program has begun, they will be communicated with the participants in a timely fashion.
Youth Parliament Archive
- YP2023 Bills and Acts PDF (1.95 MB)
- YP2022 Bills and Acts PDF (1.45 MB)
- YP2021 Bills and Acts PDF (3.44 MB)
- YP2020 Bills and Acts PDF (2.60 MB)
- YP2019 Bills and Acts PDF (4.00 MB)
- YP2018 Bills and Acts PDF (2.33 MB)
- YP2018 Public Report PDF (1.96 MB)
- YP2017 Bills and Acts PDF (481 KB)
- YP2017 Public Report PDF (1.89 MB)
- YP2016 Bills and Acts PDF (1.45 MB)
- YP2015 Bills and Acts PDF (1.24 MB)
- YP2014 Bills and Acts PDF (1.49 MB)
- YP2013 Bills and Acts PDF (1.32 MB)
- YP2012 Bills and Acts PDF (677 KB)
- YP2010 Bills and Acts PDF (477 KB)
- YP2008 Bills and Acts PDF (14.00 MB)
- YP2007 Bills and Acts PDF (9.83 MB)
School workshops and mock parliament sessions
Are you a school teacher? Did you know YMCA South Australia run school workshops and mock Parliament debates for years 7 and up? Get in touch with us to find out how we can bring Civics and Citizenship to life and make learning about politics and Parliament fun!
Powerful experiences and great memories
What previous participants have to say . . .
When I signed up for youth parliament this year, I didn't really know what to expect. I thought I might improve my public speaking skills, maybe gain a bit more confidence. What I didn't expect was to have one of the best weeks of my life, and to learn more than I could ever have learnt in any classroom.
2015 Youth Parliamentarian
On this program I met so many great people. I was amazed at the diversity and like-mindedness of the other Youth Parliamentarians. Some of these people opened my eyes to issues that I have never even heard of before.
2015 Youth Parliamentarian
For more information please contact the YMCA South Australia Youth Empowerment team on 0422 343 916 or firstname.lastname@example.org