This innovative program builds social networks and independent living skills by connecting adults with physical and intellectual disabilities into mainstream community groups and experiences.
Leap Takers is a program for people who have low to moderate support needs related to a disability.
Leap Takers are ready to take a leap in a new and exciting direction. Our programs focus on the transition times of life including:
- Leaving school and entering the adult world
- Transitioning from working life and looking for active and interesting retirement
- Moving house and re-establishing a new community network
We engage with the community through
- Visits to the library, pool, and other community facilities
- Cooking and nutrition sessions
- Shopping and banking in our local shopping centres
- Fitness and recreation classes at the local YMCA
- Learning to about road safety and using public transport
- Literacy programs and computer skills
- Getting involved in volunteer activities that strengthen our community and develop new skills
- Day trips to great tourist spots, expos, and other events
Our staff hold current DCSI employment screenings, first aid certificates and are experienced, skilled and passionate about their work.